Undergraduate Catalog-Handbook 2016-2017 [ARCHIVED CATALOG]
Online RN-BSN Completion Program
The goal of the Mount Carmel College of Nursing Online RN-BSN Completion Program is to offer educational opportunities that will expand an RN’s current knowledge base to earn a BSN. The curriculum features a wide spectrum of classes and course work to facilitate learning that integrates the most current knowledge from the humanities, liberal arts, and sciences with current health issues. Full-time and part-time enrollment options are available (click here for details).
Applications to the Online RN-BSN program are due by eight weeks prior to the start of the entering semester. Following successful completion of all prerequisite courses, the full-time student starting Fall or Spring Semester or Summer Session can complete the program in four semesters. Classes are typically small, which allows for an individualized approach to learning. Both full-time and part-time study are available.
Applicants to the RN-BSN completion program must submit the following documents. No nursing proficiency or placement tests are required.
- A completed Application for Admission (link to the online application).
- A non-refundable, one-time $30 application fee (payable by credit card online; by check or money order made payable to Mount Carmel College of Nursing or calling the Business Office).
- Official transcripts for all post-secondary academic work. Transcripts must be submitted directly to Mount Carmel College of Nursing, Online RN-BSN Completion Program.
- A current and unrestricted RN license.
- Evidence of successful completion of all required prerequisite coursework. Registered nurse students may be admitted to Mount Carmel College of Nursing after they have completed 52 semester credits in general education, including Basic Statistics (or 49 semester credits without Basic Statistics), in addition to 32 semester credits in nursing.
- A minimum 2.00 cumulative GPA in prior coursework
- If applying for admission while still enrolled in prerequisite courses, a statement of expected completion dates for the courses is required.
Priority consideration is given to applicants from NLNAC accredited pre-licensure nursing programs. MCCN will evaluate applicant packages and may consider admission for those from non-NLNAC accredited pre-licensure nursing programs on an individual basis.
If nursing coursework and/or a degree was earned outside the United States, transcripts must be evaluated by a member of NACES (National Association of Credential Evaluation Services). Click here for a list of accepted NACES members.
Application and correspondence related to admission to the Online RN-BSN Completion Program should be directed to:
Program Admission Advisor
||Mount Carmel College of Nursing
127 South Davis Avenue
Columbus, Ohio 43222-1504
|Phone (614) 234-1176
Fax (614) 234-2875
Program Completion Time
Online RN-BSN students must complete the Mount Carmel Nursing Program within 15 semesters, or 5 years, of the date of admission.
The MCCN residency requirement policy requires completion of a minimum of 32 credit hours to be granted a Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) degree from Mount Carmel College of Nursing. Students transferring from another program will receive transcript evaluation for possible reduction in residency requirement.
Online Student Orientation
The program begins with an online student orientation to enhance the student’s online learning experience. All entering Mount Carmel students are required to demonstrate a minimum level of computer and internet competency. The student must demonstrate this competency by the successful completion of the Online Student Orientation course prior to enrolling in the first course of the program, NURS 301 - Nursing Informatics . A new student will not be permitted to enroll until successful completion of the Online Student Orientation Course.
The Online Student Orientation is an independent self-study course students must complete pior to the first semester of enrollment. For additional assistance or computer help sessions, contact the Academic Support Services Office (614-234-5839).
The student will develop the ability to:
- Log onto the Internet, CARMELink, Canvas and other applications with a user ID and password.
- Use a search engine on the Internet.
- Use the Library databases to retrieve articles.
- Receive, send, and reply to email.
- Compose, file, revise, edit, and print Microsoft Word® documents.
- Attach documents/files to email messages and/or assignments in Canvas.
- Follow and participate in an online discussion or chat in Canvas.
- Write a college-level, APA-formatted paper.
Students encountering problems with CARMELink access should submit an email to HelpLine@mccn.edu.
The following computer hardware and software are required for success in the Online RN-BSN Completion Program.
The following are suggested minimal personal computer (PC) requirements for students taking courses online.These are also recommended computer specs to consider when purchasing a new device.
- Windows 7/8/10 or Mac OS X 10.7 or newer
- Intel i3 / AMD A6 processor or better
Display and Video Card
- 1280x800 resolution or higher, 512 MB video RAM or more
- 500 GB or larger for standard hard drives
- 256 GB or larger for solid state hard drives
- USB flash drive (requires USB port)
- Microsoft Office Suite
- PDF reader such as CutePDF Writer, PDFCreator, or Adobe
- Ethernet or Wireless card that supports 802.11 b/g/n protocol
- Speakers, Microphone, and webcam are all recommended
- Install an additional browser other than Internet Explorer or Safari. Mozilla Firefox or Google Chrome is recommended.
- Install the following software for proper playback of most web content
- Adobe Flash Player
- Microsoft Silverlight
- Extended warranty is recommended for laptops. Consider purchasing a backup battery as well
- Make sure to have physical copies of the install disks for any additional software purchased with the device. This will include software keys or licenses needed should a reformat be needed
- Ensure you have everything needed to connect and use your systems, including power cables, USB cables, and Ethernet cables
Notes on the Apartment Residence
- All units in the apartment residence have wireless Internet capability and wireless access
- Desktop computers (or laptops without wireless capability) can be converted with the purchase of an inexpensive Wireless USB Adapter
- For students who are considering desktop vs. laptop computers for purchase, either is acceptable
Etiquette for Online Learning (“Netiquette”)
Students are to treat one another and their faculty with respect at all times. Click here for Rules for Online Etiquette, commonly referred to as “Netiquette.” These rules are also located in CARMELink in every course under “Read This First – Online Learning Orientation,” then “Computer Help,” then “Netiquette.” Failure to abide by Online Etiquette or Netiquette may result in Academic or Professional Misconduct charges.
Students are solely responsible knowing and following Mount Carmel College of Nursing policies and procedures and for their own successful progress and completion of the degree program and requirements they select. While advisors are available to help students with course selection, each student is responsible for seeking clarification regarding progression through the curriculum. At all times, each student is also responsible for seeking clarification and/or assistance from faculty, staff, or administrators.
The Online RN-BSN Completion Program Advisor provides the following advising services:
1. Assist in planning the student’s academic program.
2. Advise regarding course registration each semester.
3. Interpret academic requirements, policies, and procedures.
4. Monitor student progress toward fulfilling degree requirements and grade point achievement.
Community Service Requirement
Prior to completion of the program, students must complete 10 hours of community service. Click here for details regarding this requirement.