Jul 19, 2018
This program prepares licensed registered nurses, who already have a Master of Science in Nursing degree, for another exciting level of practice---the role of qualified educator in an academic or a healthcare setting. Master's prepared nurses wanting to take their professional calling to another area of nursing will find that the four nursing education courses offered through the program will enhance their practices. This Certificate Program builds on previous knowledge obtained in the Master's of Nursing program. Two years of recent nursing experience is recommended for admission consideration.
The Graduate certificate is offered as an online program only.
Student Learning Outcomes
Upon completion of the Graduate Certificate in Nursing Education, graduates will have the knowledge and skills to:
- Assume advanced nursing roles in education
- Develop appropriate programs that respond to the educational & health care needs of diverse populations
- Facilitate the use of evidence-based practice in nursing curricula
- Use epidemiological, social, and environmental data to draw inferences for the development of nursing education programs
- Design health promotion and disease prevention educational programs
- Evaluate nursing education program(s) and policies to assure quality outcomes
- Demonstrate leadership in nursing education
- Use ethical decision making in relevant practice roles
- Collaborate with other disciplines to achieve quality outcomes in nursing education
- Promote nursing as a profession and a discipline
- Demonstrates scholarly inquiry through verbal and written communication in educational scholarship
- Analyzes ethical, legal, and social factors influencing policy (updated January 24, 2017)
Nursing Education Certificate curriculum
Direct Care Core: 0-9 cr. hrs.*
*If the following 3 courses were not taken in the previous Master of Nursing degree program, the Nursing Education Certificate student must enroll in the Direct Care Core:
Functional Area Core: 12 credit hours
- Click here for the Nursing Education Certificate Plan of Study.
- Option to waive the NURS 547 - Educator Practicum for the Graduate Certificate student if evidence of professional teaching experience is provided.
- When completing the preceptored practicum, students must meet the compliance requirements of all agencies.
- Click here for the required gainful employment disclosures for the Nursing Education Certificate.
Total of 12-25 credit hours / 150 practicum hours / 50 clinical hours