Feb 26, 2024  
2022-2023 Graduate Catalog-Handbook 
2022-2023 Graduate Catalog-Handbook [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Student Complaints & Grievances

Return to {$returnto_text} Return to: Catalog Search

Mount Carmel College of Nursing has a formal process for addressing and resolving student complaints emerging from alleged violations of College policies, procedures, or established practices on the part of a College faculty member, staff member, or department.

Submitting Complaints

Individuals may submit complaints using the online reporting form (also available by copying and pasting: https://cm.maxient.com/reportingform.php?MountCarmel&layout_id=2 into your internet browser).  Complaints may be filed directly with the Director of Compliance and Safety by contacting 614-234-2341 or emailing compliance@mccn.edu.

To file a formal grievance with the Higher Learning Commission and/or the Ohio Department of Education, please refer to https://www.mccn.edu/about/compliance/state-authorization/sara-student-complaints.

This policy addresses student complaints and grievances not otherwise covered by another College policy or procedure. Guidance and procedures for complaints covered by other policies are described and listed below:

External Agencies to Report Complaints & Grievances

The Ohio Department of Higher Education:
  • The Ohio Department of Higher Education (ODHE) is responsible for responding to formal complaints against public, independent non-profit, and propriety institutions of higher education in Ohio. While the Ohio Department of Higher Education has limited authority over colleges and universities, and cannot offer legal advice or initiate civil court cases, ODHE staff will review submitted complaints and work with student complainants and institutions. Information, can be found on its website. https://www.ohiohighered.org/students/complaints
The Higher Learning Commission (HLC):
  • The Higher Learning Commission (HLC) is an independent body responsible for the accreditation of programs offered by Mount Carmel College of Nursing. The HLC receives complaints from students or other parties. When a complaint raises issues regarding an institution’s ability to meet accreditation criteria, the HLC will forward a copy of the complaint to the institution and request a formal response. Instructions for filing a complaint with the Commission are available on its website. https://www.hlcommission.org/Student-Resources/complaints.html

Internal Informal Resolution

Before an official complaint or grievance is initiated, every effort should be made by the individual(s) to resolve the issue directly. Students should follow appropriate Chain of Command procedures outlined in a course syllabus. Complaints that fall outside of the classroom setting can be directed to the appropriate College Leadership. This good faith effort to resolve a problem is encouraged by the Office of Compliance and Safety prior to directing the complainant to submit a formal Complaint Form.

Internal Formal Resolution Process

  1. Complaint is filed using form listed above.
  2. Student Complaint Form is received by the Director of Compliance and Safety who conducts a preliminary review of the complaint. The Director may consult with other appropriate departments, including Colleague Relations within Mount Carmel Health System, to determine the next appropriate steps. If the complaint is against the Director of Compliance and Safety, it is reviewed by Associate Dean for Student Services.
  3. An investigation will be conducted and written final determination will be sent to the student who filed the initial complaint via MCCN email. Please note that the completion of the investigation may take up to 14 academic days, depending on the complexity of the issues involved.
  4. If students need assistance in completing the General Complaint Form, they are encouraged to reach out to a member of the College faculty or staff (including, but not limited to the Student Behavioral Health Counselor or Student Success Coordinator).  
  5. The College reserves the right to take immediate interim actions as necessary and appropriate to protect the safety and well-being of the campus and community.

Internal Appeals

Students have the right to appeal the outcome of a decision by filing a written appeal to the Associate Dean of Student Services, or designee, within fourteen (14) academic days of receipt of written notice of the determination.

An appeal must be filed online 

Appeals may be filed under the following circumstances. It is the responsibility of the student, in writing, to prove one or more of the following occurred for an appeal to be accepted:

  • Procedural error that resulted in significant harm to the student. Deviations from the designated procedures will not be a basis for accepting an appeal unless the deviations are material, substantial, and/or significant harm or bias resulted;
  • The Investigator or initial decision maker had a conflict of interest, bias or prejudice that prevented a fair and impartial decision;
  • Substantial new evidence/information that was unavailable at the time of the decision and which reasonably could have affected the decision is now available;
  • Dissatisfaction with a decision may not be the sole reason for the appeal.

The appellate body, or designee, will decide the appeal based upon a review of the supporting documents, which must be submitted by the student appealing the decision. The appeal officer may consider additional relevant information from any individual or office related to the incident and then decide the appeal based upon the enhanced record. The decision of the appeal officer is final. The appeal officer may:

  • Uphold the original decision;
  • Modify the decision;
  • Refer the case to the original decision maker or refer the case to a new decision maker for a new decision.

Record Keeping

The College will keep a record of complaints (and the resolutions) submitted for Formal Resolution, as required by law and regulation. This record is kept on file with Compliance and Safety.

Return to {$returnto_text} Return to: Catalog Search